Covering of ethical and quality control issues, the assurance framework encompasses auditing, review and agreed-upon procedures, with different levels of assurance provided for each to meet the requirements of users/clients. The main focus will be on the audit - an independent examination of the financial information prepared by the management of an entity. The impact of materiality and risk on evidence gathering and documentation requirements which support the opinion are introduced.
- Overview of audit, assurance and professional ethics
- Risk assessment and audit strategy
- Audit evidence and sampling
- Understanding the client's internal controls and tests of controls
- Substantive audit procedures and testing
- Completing and reporting the audit
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify and evaluate key auditing standards, ethical code and quality control requirements for audit and assurance engagements in a complex business environment|
|2||analyse the significance of materiality and risk in the audit process for gathering evidence and apply appropriate audit sampling methods|
|3||discuss the importance of internal controls to the audit process and analyse audit processes to conduct audit|
|4||evaluate and conclude different types of audit opinions included in the financial reports with professional judgement.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify and evaluate key auditing standards, ethical code and quality control requirements for audit and assurance engagements in a complex business environment
- analyse the significance of materiality and risk in the audit process for gathering evidence and apply appropriate audit sampling methods
- discuss the importance of internal controls to the audit process and analyse audit processes to conduct audit
- evaluate and conclude different types of audit opinions included in the financial reports with professional judgement.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- This Handbook contains the Australian Auditing Standards referred to throughout the unit. Students are encouraged to make use of the most recent edition of the Handbook due to the evolving nature of auditing standards. Just be aware that if you are accessing pdf version of individual standards from AUASB website (they are free) then make sure to download them as required.: : CAANZ 2020, 2020, Auditing, Assurance and Ethics Handbook 2020, John Wiley & Sons Limited, Milton, Queensland. ISBN: 9780730384229.
- This text is referred to and used throughout the unit. The e-text is strongly recommended though a much more expensive printed version is available. PLEASE NOTE the link to the publisher website for purchase: http://www.wileydirect.com.au/buy/auditing-a-practical-approach-3rd-edition/:: Moroney, R, Campbell, F & Hamilton, J , 2020, Auditing: A Practical Approach, 4th edn, John Wiley and Sons Ltd, Australia, Milton, Qld. ISBN: 9780730382645.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.