Introduces key concepts, principles, tools, contemporary issues and context of finance and financial management in order to prepare students for participation in making investment and financing decisions. Students will develop their financial toolkit by undertaking practical problems and case studies.
Module 1: The financial environment and the time value of money (TVM)
Module 2: Applying TVM: valuation and interest rates
Module 3: Risk and return
Module 4: Capital investment analysis: decision criteria and cash flow estimation
Module 5: Capital investment analysis: risk and the cost of capital
Module 6: Capital structure and payout policies
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||apply time value of money techniques to the analysis of practical business finance problems and opportunities|
|2||measure risk and return, and explain those measures in light of the risk-return trade-off and diversification|
|3||evaluate capital investments using appropriate capital budgeting techniques|
|4||compare and appraise alternative capital structures and payout policies.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- apply time value of money techniques to the analysis of practical business finance problems and opportunities
- measure risk and return, and explain those measures in light of the risk-return trade-off and diversification
- evaluate capital investments using appropriate capital budgeting techniques
- compare and appraise alternative capital structures and payout policies.
- No prescribed texts.
- An eBook version of the following textbook is also available. (ISBN shown is for print copy.): Graham, JR, Adam, C & Gunasingham, B, 2021, Corporate Finance, 3rd Asia-Pacific Edition, Cengage, South Melbourne, Victoria. ISBN: 9780170446075.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.