Develops the knowledge and skills required for effective regenerative soil management, with a strong emphasis on soil ecology and soil management for climate mitigation. Students will develop skills in assessing soil structure, health and fertility. They will learn to recognise and monitor both soil constraints and emergent properties. The key concepts of regenerative soil management are examined, including carbon-farming and the development of soil organic matter and water holding capacity in a range of agricultural contexts. Students will learn to develop regenerative strategies for effective agricultural soil management.
1. Principles of regenerative soil management
2. Assessing soil health and fertility, identifying constraints
3. Soil ecology and biology
4. Land capability, classification and mapping
5. Soil carbon & sequestration
6.Monitoring and managing soil health and fertility
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify the key principles of regenerative soil management including understanding soil microbiology|
|2||map soils at landscape and paddock scales|
|3||assess soil health and fertility and identify soil constraints|
|4||apply a range of regenerative soil management strategies and practices to build soil carbon and improve soil ecology.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify the key principles of regenerative soil management including understanding soil microbiology
- map soils at landscape and paddock scales
- assess soil health and fertility and identify soil constraints
- apply a range of regenerative soil management strategies and practices to build soil carbon and improve soil ecology.
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.