Figure drawing, environmental and thematically-based project work form the basis of this unit through an expressive approach to media, content, and artistic options of contemporary drawing practice. Students are encouraged to develop individuality and creativity in the expressive drawing context.
- Drawing as a (visual) language: drawing as a means of communication, drawing as a fluid set of formal properties, conventions and traditions
- Contemporary conceptual issues connected to terrain, location and roles for photography
- Contemporary versions of traditional art practices
- Drawing techniques, media investigations, compositional strategies and installation
- The intrinsic and encoded qualities of drawing media
- Studio and folio drawings
- Work habits and routines
- Personal and critical evaluation of drawings
- Research and journal keeping.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between research, support work and major works||Intellectual rigour|
|2||demonstrate an understanding of appropriate contemporary theoretical frameworks and practices||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||demonstrate an understanding of image generation and image/idea evolution||Intellectual rigour|
|4||demonstrate an ability to use a variety of media and supports||Intellectual rigour|
|5||demonstrate an understanding of the potential roles for photography in terrain-based drawing||Creativity|
|6||demonstrate an understanding of installation practices||Creativity|
|7||demonstrate an understanding of journal keeping and its role in studio practice.||Knowledge of a discipline|
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2018 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.