Introduces students to the importance of culture in understanding human behaviour, including cognitive processes, social behaviour, language and communication, health and emotions. The implications of cultural differences for the development of theories in psychology will be examined. Other issues will include immigration and working with people of different cultures. A section of the unit will focus on issues related to cross cultural and indigenous psychologies.
- An introduction to cross-cultural psychology
- Research methods used in cross cultural psychology research
- Developmental psychology from a cross cultural perspective
- Cognition and perception from a cross cultural perspective
- Emotional expression and perception across cultures
- Migration and settlement in Australia
- Multilingualism and the importance of language in culture
- Health issues from a cross cultural perspective
- Social psychology from a cross cultural perspective
- Intercultural and cross cultural communication
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||critically evaluate core areas of psychology from a cross cultural perspective||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|2||critically evaluate research methods used in cross cultural research||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|3||apply psychological knowledge to gain a greater understanding of issues which affect multicultural and Indigenous communities||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|4||critically examine current issues and debates related to cross-cultural and Indigenous issues in the national and global context||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|5||demonstrate an understanding of trans-generational issues in migrant and Indigenous societies today.||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|6||demonstrate an understanding of how to be more effective in intercultural and cross cultural communication||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills||Cultural competence|
|7||demonstrate an understanding of some of the differences and commonalities between people from different social and cultural groups||Communication and social skills||Cultural competence|
- Matsumoto, D & Juang, L, 2017, Culture and Psychology , 6th edn, Cengage. ISBN: 9781305648951.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2017 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.