Not offered in 2018
Enhances students’ skills in the conduct of experimental behavioural research. Students will gain access to resources, including staff and research students, supporting laboratory-based experimental research in psychology. They will design an experimental protocol for a study of their own choosing, and will engage in a number of experiments and maintain a laboratory journal in which they describe the outcomes of this activity.
- The nature of experimentation: paradigms and processes
- Psychology as a theoretical science
- The role of equipment and technology in the advancement of scientific knowledge
- The ethics of experimentation in behavioural research
- The research protocol
- Scientific writing and the dissemination of knowledge
- Building a research career in behavioural science
- Case studies in behavioural research: The Honours student
- Case studies in behavioural research: The postgraduate student
- Case studies in behavioural research: The academic
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||develop a theoretically sound and ethically appropriate experimental protocol similar to that which would form part of an application for ethics clearance||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
|2||critically analyse perspectives on the nature of the science of psychology and their methods||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||use advanced analysis to report the outcomes of psychological experimentation.||Intellectual rigour||Communication and social skills|
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2018 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.