Examines normal physiological mechanisms of the human body including basic cellular functions, the nervous and endocrine systems, muscle contraction, circulation, respiration, renal system and body fluid and electrolytes homeostasis, digestion and absorption, metabolism, reproduction, and defence mechanisms. Develops essential foundational concepts for further studies in health and human sciences.
- Observation, collection, recording and explanation of physiological data
- Scientific foundation for understanding body function
- Concept of homeostasis
- Cellular physiology
- Endocrine system function
- Neural signalling
- Central nervous system function
- Sensory physiology
- Peripheral nervous system function
- Muscle Physiology
- Cardiovascular physiology
- Respiratory physiology
- Renal function
- Immune system function
- Reproductive physiology
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||explain the relationship between human body structure and function||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||describe the major functions of the physiological systems in the human body||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||identify the mechanisms underlying the normal functions of the human body and the regulation of the body functions in response to changes in the internal and external environment.||Knowledge of a discipline|
- Value Pack includes Textbook - Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach, Pearson New International Edition + Mastering A&P access + Interactive Physiology 10-System Suite CD: Silverthorn DU, 2014, Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach, 6th edn, Pearson Education, Australia. ISBN: ISBN-10: 1486024203 ISBN-13: 9781486024209.
- Value Pack includes Textbook – Human Physiology – An integrated approach. Pearson NI edition + Mastering A & P access + Interactive Physiology 10-System Suite CD: Silverthorn DU, 2014, Human Physiology – An integrated approach, 6th edn, Pearson Education, Australia. ISBN: ISBN 10: 1486024203 ISBN-13: 9781486024209.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2014 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.