Provides the knowledge basis of neural processes involved in the control of movement and of issues in cerebral organisation of goal directed movement. It also provides background to knowledge of, and practical skills related to, common assessment techniques for neurological and movement disorders.
- Introduction and techniques in measuring motor control
- Review of the nervous system
- The efferent (motor) and ferent (somatosensory and special senses) nervous systems
- The integration motor-sensory processes to produce voluntary actions
- Assessment of postural control, locomotion and functional skills
- Motor control theories
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||identify neural pathways and demonstrate knowledge of the role of brain in the control of movement||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
|2||evaluate current models and hypotheses related to movement control||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|3||conduct and interpret skill assessments applicable to exercise science practice||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
|4||explain common neurological disorders and their influence on movement control||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Communication and social skills|
- Magill, R & Anderson, D, 2014, Motor learning and control: concepts and applications, 10th edn, McGraw Hill, Australia. ISBN: 9780078022678.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2018 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.