|Gold Coast||Session 2||Session 2|
Introduces students to the principles of molecular genetics with an emphasis on human disease and an understanding of the key concepts underlying the experimental techniques of DNA manipulations. Topics include Mendelian genetics, chromosome structure, DNA replication, transcription, translation, gene expression, mutation and DNA repair, molecular genetic analysis, complex genetic disease, DNA testing, biotechnology and gene therapy.
- Introduction to genetics, cells, chromosomes and meiosis
- Basic principles of heredity
- Non-Mendelian inheritance patterns
- DNA and chromosome structure
- DNA replication
- Transcription and RNA processing
- Translation and the genetic code
- Gene expression
- Chromosomal and DNA mutations and DNA repair
- Molecular genetic analysis and biotechnology
- Genetic testing and gene therapy
- Complex genetic disease
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||describe the processes relating to DNA storage, replication and expression of genetic material||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||relate chromosomal, single and multifactorial gene mutations to human diseases||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of mechanisms of DNA mutation and repair||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||evaluate methods of identifying human disease genes||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|5||develop analytical and laboratory skills in the area of molecular genetics||Intellectual rigour||Lifelong learning|
|6||apply knowledge of Mendelian and non-Mendelian patterns of inheritance in the case of genetically inherited diseases||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
- Jorde, Medical Genetics, 5th edn.
- The 6th edition or the 5th edition will be fine.: Pierce, B. A, 2017, Genetics: A Conceptual Approach, 6th edn, WH Freeman and Company, New York. ISBN: 978-1-319-05096-2.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2019 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.