|Gold Coast||Session 1||Session 1|
Expands on student knowledge of human disease by incorporating results of clinical biochemistry and genetic investigations. In addition, students further develop their practical skills in biochemical and molecular analytical techniques. Current trends in biochemical/molecular research including gene therapy are also presented.
- Biochemical tests in clinical medicine.
- Disturbances of water and electrolytes.
- Bone metabolism.
- Gastrointestinal tract disease.
- Glucose metabolism.
- Disorders of metabolism.
- Biochemical endocrinology.
- Biochemistry of renal and cardiovascular diseases.
- Clinical biochemistry in paediatrics, pregnancy and in the elderly.
- Regulation of gene expression.
- Cellular homeostasis: cell growth and cancer.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||summarise disease processes from a biochemical viewpoint||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||employ problem solving and application of biochemical concepts to clinical scenarios||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||debate developments in gene therapy for the treatment of a range of genetic, non-genetic diseases and cancer||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||evaluate biochemical and/or genetic clinical data and justify conclusions||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|5||solve clinical cases by using biochemical methods||Intellectual rigour||Ethical practice||Knowledge of a discipline|
|6||select and employ relevant laboratory methods and safe practice in the biochemical laboratory||Intellectual rigour||Ethical practice||Knowledge of a discipline|
- Murphy, M, Srivastava, R & Deans, K, 2018, Clinical Biochemistry: An Illustrated Colour Text, 6th edn, Elsevier Health Sciences, Great Britain. ISBN: 9780702072987.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2020 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.