This unit deals with the challenges confronting global business managers. First, it explores the vibrant and dynamic global business environment, and the opportunities and threats posed in a global environment. Then the focus turns to the development of global business strategy, addressing strategic management, entry strategies, organisational design and the functional areas of marketing, finance and human resource management.
Module 1: The global marketplace
Module 2: International trade theories, government intervention and emerging markets
Module 3: Political and legal systems
Module 4: Culture, ethics and social responsibility
Module 5: Global market opportunity assessment
Module 6: Global marketing and human resource strategies
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||evaluate the role of culture, governments and international organisations in promoting global trade and business|
|2||assess the opportunities and threats posed by cultural differences in a global environment|
|3||evaluate the risks, costs and benefits of doing business in different countries|
|4||argue a point of view relating to ethics and social responsibility by global businesses.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- evaluate the role of culture, governments and international organisations in promoting global trade and business
- assess the opportunities and threats posed by cultural differences in a global environment
- evaluate the risks, costs and benefits of doing business in different countries
- argue a point of view relating to ethics and social responsibility by global businesses.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Newer edition of the textbook is now available: Cavusgil, ST, Knight, G & Riesenberger, JR, 2019, International Business: The New Realities, Global Edition, 5th edn , Pearson Higher Ed , USA. ISBN: 9781292303246.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.