Examines the key principles of strategic management, with particular focus on the strategy process and its individual components - analysis, choice, action and evaluation. This unit makes use of the case analysis method so that students can apply their understanding to real-world problems across a range of professional contexts.
- Outside-in: Strategy as positioning, Porter’s 5-forces and positional matrix, PESTEL
- Inside-out: Resource-based view of strategy, VIRO/VIRN, developing resources/capabilities
- Emergent view of strategy, experiments, strategy innovation, the three views and bringing them together
- Analysis models and frameworks such as McKinsey7-Ss, MIT90s, CAGE, and how to use them
- Fit and sustainability, strategy-structure-processes, Miles and Snow, structural options
- Strategy implementation and organisational change
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of strategic management tools, frameworks and processes|
|2||apply strategic management theories to the analysis of real-world case studies|
|3||critique the strategic management approach of a contemporary organisation|
|4||apply a formal strategy process to diagnose and address a strategic business problem.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of strategic management tools, frameworks and processes
- apply strategic management theories to the analysis of real-world case studies
- critique the strategic management approach of a contemporary organisation
- apply a formal strategy process to diagnose and address a strategic business problem.
- No prescribed texts.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.