The unit develops the appropriate skills and knowledge to facilitate exercise therapy within metabolic and psychological conditions.
- Pathophysiology, aetiology, signs, symptoms, disease stages, diagnostic procedures of metabolic and psychological conditions.
- Medical and allied health management including medications, relevant surgeries and expected outcomes, evidence-based therapies, evidence-based exercise and physical therapies.
- Relevant literature searches pertaining to metabolic and psychological conditions.
- Physiological, clinical and functional assessments.
- Exercise prescription.
- Safe conduct and contraindications to exercise.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||locate and evaluate, analyse, understand, collate, and disseminate peer-reviewed clinical exercise physiology scientific literature pertaining to lifestyle related interventions to improve and/or maintain metabolic and psychological health||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||demonstrate an understanding of the risk factors for and pathophysiology associated with target metabolic and psychological condition, including diagnostic procedures||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|3||explain the rationale and outcomes of treatment modalities for metabolic and psychological conditions||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||identify indications and contraindications for exercise within metabolic and psychological conditions||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|5||select and conduct appropriate assessments to determine the safety and efficacy of acute and chronic exercise in metabolic and psychological conditions||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|6||prescribe safe and effective exercise interventions to improve and/or maintain metabolic and psychological health.||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
- Ehrman, JK, 2013, Clinical Exercise Physiology, 3rd edn, Human Kinetics, US. ISBN: 1450412807.
- Prescribed readings will be made available to students in the "My Readings" section of the unit: BlackBoard, CEP03366.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2018 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.