Introduces students to the basic concepts of general and organic chemistry with a focus on the study of chemical properties, interactions and concepts that are relevant to human health. It includes study of chemical bonding, the periodic table, gases and solutions, acids and bases, chemical equilibrium, and organic functional groups. Laboratory classes provide students with experience in relevant basic techniques and methods.
- The structure and properties of matter
- Atomic structure and the periodic table
- Chemical bonding - compounds used in medicine
- Chemical calculations
- Chemical reactions
- Chemical equilibrium
- Gases and intermolecular forces
- Water, solutions, colloids and electrolytes - fluid balance in the body
- Acids and bases
- Organic molecules - saturated, unsaturated and aromatic hydrocarbons
- Organic compounds containing oxygen, sulphur and nitrogen
- Organic compounds containing the carbonyl group
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||define and differentiate chemical terms and concepts as they relate to biomedical science and human health.||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||calculate chemical quantities and solve problems of an applied chemical nature.||Intellectual rigour|
|3||describe the chemical and physical properties of organic functional groups.||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||perform and observe basic chemistry experiments, record and compute data, and explain the link between theory and the experimental process.||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
- Stoker, HS, 2015, General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry, 7th edn, Cengage Learning, USA. ISBN: ISBN-13: 9781285853918; ISBN-10: 1285853911.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2016 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.