Not currently available in 2023
Introduces students to the basic concepts of general and organic chemistry with a focus on the study of chemical properties, interactions and concepts that are relevant to human health. It includes study of chemical bonding, the periodic table, gases and solutions, acids and bases, chemical equilibrium, and organic functional groups. Laboratory classes provide students with experience in relevant basic techniques and methods.
- The structure and properties of matter
- Atomic structure and the periodic table
- Chemical bonding
- Chemical calculations
- Chemical reactions
- Chemical equilibrium
- Gases and intermolecular forces
- Water, solutions, colloids and electrolytes
- Acids and bases
- Organic molecules
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||define and differentiate chemical terms and concepts as they relate to biomedical science and human health.|
|2||calculate chemical quantities and solve problems of an applied chemical nature.|
|3||describe the chemical and physical properties of inorganic compounds and organic functional groups.|
|4||employ laboratory methods and explain experimental data.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- define and differentiate chemical terms and concepts as they relate to biomedical science and human health.
- calculate chemical quantities and solve problems of an applied chemical nature.
- describe the chemical and physical properties of inorganic compounds and organic functional groups.
- employ laboratory methods and explain experimental data.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.