The students learn the concepts of the engineering design process and design philosophy through an authentic engineering problem. A core aspect of the unit is introducing students to the Engineers Australia (EA) Stage 1 competencies. You learn a number of skills important to engineers, including the use of reflective writing to demonstrate the development of EA competencies. You will also learn the basics of statistical analysis and their use in engineering.
- Introduction to engineering and its sub-disciplines
- Reflective practice and Engineers Australia Stage 1 competencies
- Introduction to design thinking and engineering processes
- Engineering skills including communication including technical drawing and report writing
- Conceptual problem-solving techniques
- Statistical analysis in engineering
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||use reflective practice to analyse the engineering competencies you wish to develop|
|2||understand the fundamentals of engineering ethics and risk management|
|3||demonstrate engineering skills and design thinking and understand engineering processes|
|4||effectively operate as a member of an engineering team to solve engineering problems|
|5||apply basic statistical analysis to engineering applications.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- use reflective practice to analyse the engineering competencies you wish to develop
- understand the fundamentals of engineering ethics and risk management
- demonstrate engineering skills and design thinking and understand engineering processes
- effectively operate as a member of an engineering team to solve engineering problems
- apply basic statistical analysis to engineering applications.
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.