Introduces students to the complexities of waste management and associated technologies in industry and community settings. The waste management industry is worth hundreds of millions of dollars annually and all communities must deal with this issue. This unit uses case studies, practical and field experiences and a multidisciplinary approach to explore the expanding range of technologies to manage waste in appropriate and effective ways.
- Types of waste
- Waste disposal
- Waste minimisation
- Dealing with difficult waste
- Site remediation and rehabilitation.
- Life cycle assessment
- Waste management technology in industry
- Waste management in the community
- Waste policy
- The future
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe types of waste, their impacts on the environment and understand waste disposal problems and methods|
|2||explore waste minimisation technologies and strategies|
|3||interpret and critically evaluate case studies, and field and laboratory experimental data|
|4||advise on waste management technologies and strategies for industry and community|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe types of waste, their impacts on the environment and understand waste disposal problems and methods
- explore waste minimisation technologies and strategies
- interpret and critically evaluate case studies, and field and laboratory experimental data
- advise on waste management technologies and strategies for industry and community
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.