Expands on the unit Introduction to Solid Mechanics to further investigate the mechanics of solid materials. Introduces methods to analyse internal stresses for beam subject to bending and shear. Presents the theory of stress and strain transformation and use of different methods to evaluate the deflection of flexural members.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of internal behaviour of beams subject to loading and ability to calculate the internal stresses|
|2||transform stresses and strains using Mohr's Circle theory|
|3||apply appropriate methods to determine deflections in flexural members|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of internal behaviour of beams subject to loading and ability to calculate the internal stresses
- transform stresses and strains using Mohr's Circle theory
- apply appropriate methods to determine deflections in flexural members
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.