Presents the principles necessary to analyse complex structural behaviour. Compatibility and equilibrium methods to analyse indeterminate structures are introduced, in addition to approximate methods of analysis for verification purposes. Computer modelling techniques for the analysis of structures are also covered.
Introduction and Revision of Structural Mechanics Concepts
Determinate and Indeterminate Structures
Approximate Methods of Analysis
Compatibility Methods of Analysis
Equilibrium Methods of Analysis
Computer Modelling of Structures
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of complex structural behaviour including the effects of stiffness/flexibility, determinacy and indeterminacy|
|2||apply approximate analysis methods to develop order of magnitude estimations of structural actions|
|3||analyse complex structures by hand using established engineering analysis methods such as compatibility and equilibrium methods|
|4||analyse complex structures using computer modelling techniques.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of complex structural behaviour including the effects of stiffness/flexibility, determinacy and indeterminacy
- apply approximate analysis methods to develop order of magnitude estimations of structural actions
- analyse complex structures by hand using established engineering analysis methods such as compatibility and equilibrium methods
- analyse complex structures using computer modelling techniques.
- Hibbeler, RC, 2011, Structural Analysis, 8th edn in SI Units, Pearson Education, Singapore. ISBN: 9789810687137 (OUT OF PRINT).
- In order to develop a much deeper appreciation of the lecture material, you are strongly encouraged to acquire a copy of one the reference texts: Hibbeler, RC, 2016, Structural Analysis, 9th edn in SI Units, Pearson Higher Education, Singapore. ISBN: 9781292089461 (Lecture notes are based on this version of the text).
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.