Introduces students to Australian culture and society. Key ideas and aspects of the Australian experience are studied through Australian cultural studies, Indigenous studies, literature, media, history, sociology, political science, visual arts, music and environmental studies. Particular attention is paid to the significance of identity, place and culture in Australia and to the nature of historical and contemporary Australian social values.
Module 1: Situating Australia
Module 2: Landscape, belonging and localism
Module 3: The land of the fair go?
Module 4: Australian culture / Australian cultures?
Module 5: Sporting cultures
Module 6: Australia and the world
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify and describe the key issues and debates in contemporary Australia|
|2||analyse key issues in Australian society in terms of the themes of identity, belonging and diversity|
|3||apply a critical approach to questions of Australian culture and society|
|4||reflect critically on their own experience of cultural engagement|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify and describe the key issues and debates in contemporary Australia
- analyse key issues in Australian society in terms of the themes of identity, belonging and diversity
- apply a critical approach to questions of Australian culture and society
- reflect critically on their own experience of cultural engagement
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.