Introduces students to Australia, Asia and the World through a study of the historical, cultural, social and political implications of Australia in a globally interconnected world. By developing their contextual awareness and cultural competency, students orient themselves as citizens of the world.
Module 1: A citizen of the world
Module 2: Identity, values and cultural competence
Module 3: Legacies of colonialism: the world and Australia
Module 4: Globalisation, borders and the construction of Asia
Module 5: Asia in Australia: belonging and representation
Module 6: Australia in Asia: travel and storytelling
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of the significance of identity and relevance of cultural competence through critical self-reflection|
|2||analyse historical developments in 'Asia' and the world that influence contemporary Australian society and culture|
|3||evaluate core issues and themes regarding the interconnections between Australia, Asia and the world|
|4||critically evaluate the media in relation to Australia and Asia|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the significance of identity and relevance of cultural competence through critical self-reflection
- analyse historical developments in 'Asia' and the world that influence contemporary Australian society and culture
- evaluate core issues and themes regarding the interconnections between Australia, Asia and the world
- critically evaluate the media in relation to Australia and Asia
- Sobocinska, A, 2014, Visiting the Neighbours: Australians in Asia, NewSouth Publishing, UNSW Press, Australia. ISBN: 978-1742233895.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.