|Coffs Harbour||Session 2||Session 2|
|Gold Coast||Session 2||Session 2|
Provides students with an overview of the Australian health care system and the factors which influence the way it functions. Historical, socio-political and cultural contexts of health care in Australia will be presented to encourage an awareness of how these factors influence health care delivery, systems, services, and the health care workforce.
Health in Australia and internationally
- Defining health
- Analysing health care systems
- Historical context of health and approaches to health care
- Social determinants of health
- Health inequalities (in Australia and internationally)
- Health of Australians and international comparisons
Structure and functions of the Australian health care system
- Key features of the AHCS
- Comparisons of health systems around the world
- Governments, governance, policy and health care in Australia
- Funding health care in Australia
- Provision of health care in Australia
Working in the Australian health care system
- Health care delivery for specific populations and vulnerable groups
- Health care workforce in Australia
- Professional organisations and regulation of the Australian health care workforce
- Contemporary issues and trends in the Australian health care system and health workforce
- Inter-professional relationships
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||compare and contrast the health of Australians and major elements of the health care system with those of other Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) nations||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||explain the various factors which influence the health of Australians and the functions of the Australian health care system||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|3||explain the impact of health care policy, funding and governance on the Australian health care system||Ethical practice||Lifelong learning|
|4||describe the role information technology plays in the Australian health care system||Ethical practice||Lifelong learning|
|5||discuss the impact of current trends in the health care system on the health care workforce.||Ethical practice||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|6||identify various factors which influence the health of priority population groups in Australia||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
- Willis, E, Reynolds, LE & Keleher, H (eds), 2016, Understanding the Australian health care system, 3rd edn, Elsevier, Chatswood, NSW. ISBN: 9780729542326.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2019 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.