Introduces students to the principles of visual communication and design through the analysis and production of digital media. Students acquire skills in image capture, creation and manipulation, and in layout and typography, and apply them using industry standard software in response to design briefs.
Module 1: Visual Design Principles – introduction to design principles, understanding colour
Module 2: Elements of design – working with type, image basics, image and representation
Module 3: Professional Practice – complex layouts, working to a brief, IP and copyright in publishing
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||Identify and analyse modes of digital presentation and publishing in social, cultural, political and economic contexts.|
|2||Understand and implement current technical standards for the creation, manipulation and distribution of digital images.|
|3||Apply principles of visual design and communication to the production of digital media for specific audiences.|
|4||Demonstrate understanding of industry expectations in response to a client brief.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Identify and analyse modes of digital presentation and publishing in social, cultural, political and economic contexts.
- Understand and implement current technical standards for the creation, manipulation and distribution of digital images.
- Apply principles of visual design and communication to the production of digital media for specific audiences.
- Demonstrate understanding of industry expectations in response to a client brief.
- Additional Readings will be available via myReadings from MySCU, ..
- Most of the compulsory readings for this unit are from the prescribed text which is available as an ebook and can be accessed online via the SCU Library: Hashimoto, A & Clayton, M , 2009, Visual Design Fundamentals: A Digital Approach, 3rd edn, Charles River Media / Cengage Learning, Boston, MA. ISBN: 9781584505815.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.