|Papua New Guinea - IBSU Port Moresby||N/A|
Gives students the skills to analyse the needs of business and specify network requirements. This unit covers the fundamental concepts of communication technologies, network technologies and network design. Students will gain an understanding of the hardware and software technology which drives data exchange both within and between information systems.
Topic 1: Basic Concepts
Topic 2: Physical and Data-link Layers
Topic 3: Network and Transport Layers
Topic 4: IP Subnetting
Topic 5: IP Address Planning
Topic 6: Network Routing
Topic 7: Network Planning and Design
Topic 8: Wired and Wireless Local Area Networks
Topic 9: Wide Area Network Technologies
Topic 10: Network Applications and Services
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||explain the fundamentals of network and data communication|
|2||describe the network components and layers in the TCP/IP network model|
|3||explain the process of network planning and design|
|4||analyse the need for data and communication networks for SMEs|
|5||design a data and communication network for an SME.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain the fundamentals of network and data communication
- describe the network components and layers in the TCP/IP network model
- explain the process of network planning and design
- analyse the need for data and communication networks for SMEs
- design a data and communication network for an SME.
- Electronic version of the prescribed textbook is also available at a much cheaper price: Fitzgerald, J, Dennis, A & Durcikova, A , 2017, Business Data Communications and Networking, 13th edn, John Wiley & Sons, USA. ISBN: 978-1-119-36883-0.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.