Covers fundamental concepts of computer networks and basic principles in network design, configuration, management and security. This unit provides foundation knowledge and skills in computer networking which prepares students for an in-depth understanding of contemporary computer networks and their role in smart cities and smart environments.
Module 1: Fundamental concepts of computer networks
Module 2: Network and communication protocols
Module 3: Network design and configuration
Module 4: Network switching and routing
Module 5: Network management and security
Module 6: Contemporary computer networks for smart environments.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||discuss fundamental concepts of computer networks.|
|2||analyse network protocols and their behaviour.|
|3||apply basic principles in network design, configuration, management and security.|
|4||assess contemporary computer networking technologies.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- discuss fundamental concepts of computer networks.
- analyse network protocols and their behaviour.
- apply basic principles in network design, configuration, management and security.
- assess contemporary computer networking technologies.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Electronic version of the prescribed textbook is also available at a much cheaper price: Fitzgerald, J, Dennis, A & Durcikova, A, 2017, Business Data Communications and Networking, 13th edn, John Wiley & Sons, USA. ISBN: 978-1-119-36883-0.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.