Explores issues of grief, trauma and crises, such as death, illness, family breakdown, violence, abuse, disasters, and life changes. Examines theory and skills, attitudes and responses to grief, trauma and crises. Applies intervention models to grief, trauma and crises.
Topic 1 Introduction and unit overview
Topic 2 Loss, trauma and crisis
Topic 3 Death and dying
Topic 4 Grieving
Topic 5 Theories that inform our understanding of loss and grief, trauma and/or crisis
Topic 6 Crisis intervention
Topic 7 Working with Grief I
Topic 8 Working with Grief II
Topic 9 Responding to traumatic community events
Topic 10 Trauma-informed practice
Topic 11 Working with grief, trauma and crisis in the human services
Topic 12 Working in the field
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe appropriate human service responses to loss, trauma and crisis|
|2||describe how to support the recovery of people experiencing grief, trauma and/or crisis|
|3||critically analyse theories of grief, trauma and crisis counselling and their application|
|4||critically reflect on own values and beliefs about grief, trauma and crises|
|5||demonstrate an understanding of issues for client populations and counsellors working in grief, trauma and crisis counselling.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe appropriate human service responses to loss, trauma and crisis
- describe how to support the recovery of people experiencing grief, trauma and/or crisis
- critically analyse theories of grief, trauma and crisis counselling and their application
- critically reflect on own values and beliefs about grief, trauma and crises
- demonstrate an understanding of issues for client populations and counsellors working in grief, trauma and crisis counselling.
- Machin, L, 2014, Working with loss and grief: a theoretical and practical approach, 2nd edn, Sage Publications, Los Angeles. ISBN: 9781446248881.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.