|China - Guangxi UST||N/A|
|Papua New Guinea - IBSU Port Moresby||N/A|
Provides the student with an overall understanding of database concepts and theory. Students will learn how to design and build a database, from data analysis to mapping a specific database model. The relational model is emphasised and introduced using structured queried language (SQL) for creating and manipulating databases.
- Database fundamentals
- The relational database model
- Creating databases
- Database design
- Advanced database design
- Database administration and client server databases
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||Write and execute SQL queries for a relational database|
|2||analyse business or application requirements and model solutions using entity relationship diagrams (ERD)|
|3||design a logical database which meets business, application and the security needs for a client/server application|
|4||design, develop, test and prove the functionality of a database|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Write and execute SQL queries for a relational database
- analyse business or application requirements and model solutions using entity relationship diagrams (ERD)
- design a logical database which meets business, application and the security needs for a client/server application
- design, develop, test and prove the functionality of a database
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Note: While the 7th edition of the following text is recommended, page numbers for the 6th edition are also provided in the study guide: Kroenke, DA & Auer, DJ, 2015, Database Concepts, 7th edn, Pearson Education, New Jersey, USA.
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.