Provides introduction to data management in an enterprise. Students will learn to design, build and evaluate databases, including relational and non-relational database technologies. Furthermore, students will learn some advanced techniques for managing Big Data.
Topic 1: Introduction to Data Management
Topic 2: Relational Data Models
Topic 3: Creating Normalised Databases
Topic 4: Structured Query Language (SQL) Scripts
Topic 5: Data Modelling and Entity-Relationship Model
Topic 6: Database Design
Topic 7: Web/Client-Server Database Applications
Topic 8: Database Administration
Topic 9: Database Security
Topic 10: Big Data and Non-traditional Databases
Topic 11: Data Warehousing
Topic 12: Recent Advances in Big Data Management
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||discuss the database model|
|2||model organisation database needs|
|3||explain the process of database design|
|4||design and develop databases from business organisation needs|
|5||identify and design the essential elements of testing strategies needed to test and prove the functionality of a database|
|6||create, write and execute SQL queries|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- discuss the database model
- model organisation database needs
- explain the process of database design
- design and develop databases from business organisation needs
- identify and design the essential elements of testing strategies needed to test and prove the functionality of a database
- create, write and execute SQL queries
- Kroenke, DA & Auer, DJ, 2017, Database Concepts, 8th edn, Pearson Education.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.