Focuses on the learning and teaching of a range of topics in K-6 mathematics including geometry, measurement and data handling; fractions, decimals, ratio, percentage and chance. Also, gives an overview of the curriculum documents and examines the nature and role of mathematics.
1. Working mathematically: Curriculum rationale; basic terms and concepts.
2. Number and Algebra: Approaches to teaching number and algebra; fractions, decimals and percentage. Basic concepts and procedures; current teaching approaches; students' difficulties and misconceptions.
3. Measurement and Geometry: Curriculum rationale; basic concepts; current teaching approaches for the substrands of 2- and 3-D space; tessellation and symmetry, position, location and arrangement; measurement.
4. Statistics and Probability: Curriculum rationale; basic concepts and procedures; current teaching approaches.
5. Planning for teaching in the mathematics classroom; programming; resources; technology resources.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||apply appropriate curriculum documents in planning for mathematics teaching||Intellectual rigour|
|2||analyse contemporary approaches to teaching in primary mathematics||Intellectual rigour||Lifelong learning|
|3||demonstrate a sound personal knowledge of these mathematics topics||Intellectual rigour||Lifelong learning|
|4||demonstrate the use of ICT hardware and software to support the learning of mathematical concepts, including critical selection of appropriate online resources||Intellectual rigour|
|5||develop a sequence of lessons and justification for the teaching of mathematics and numeracy in the primary school curriculum.||Intellectual rigour||Communication and social skills|
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2018 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.