Examines the essential information underpinning the curriculum content related to health and personal development and explores the application of current curriculum and learning theory to these areas. It also examines Teaching Games for Understanding as a contemporary approach to teaching Physical Education. It seeks to develop personal and teaching/planning skills in a variety of physical activities in varied learning contexts.
1. Introduction to NSW and Queensland Early Childhood and K-6 curriculum, their underlying philosophy and the planning structure for selected content areas.
2. Introduction of issues related to contemporary understandings of health education:
- learning and teaching strategies that are student-centred, inclusive and promote essential skill development in the areas of decision making, problem solving, communication, interaction and responsible action
- contemporary approaches to teaching and learning in PDHPE
- movement opportunities to develop and implement Teaching Games for Understanding (TGfU) approach to Physical Education
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
GA1: Intellectual rigour,
GA3: Ethical practice,
GA4: Knowledge of a discipline,
GA5: Lifelong learning,
GA6: Communication and social skills,
GA7: Cultural competence
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||demonstrate a clear understanding and some confidence in the content strands relating to personal development, health and physical education from the K-6 PDHPE Syllabus||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||investigate contemporary issues relating to health education and prepare teaching and learning strategies and devices||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||identify and critically examine sensitive issues relating to teaching PDHPE and discover correct protocol and procedures to effectively handle a variety of issues, including issues around child protection||Ethical practice|
|4||investigate contemporary issues relating to health education||Knowledge of a discipline|
|5||examine and apply Teaching Games for Understanding in a variety of teaching contexts||Knowledge of a discipline|
|6||Demonstrates well-developed written and oral communication skills, as appropriate to the needs and expectations of the profession|