Stimulate students' thinking about key educational questions of why, what and how we educate, with a particular focus on critical thinking and reflection. Students will consider these questions as an introduction to some of the foundations of the applied discipline of education. The unit examines the ways historical, political and practical understandings of education apply in the Australian context in order to challenge preconceived notions of schooling and education. The unit content establishes a framework for students to build their own perspectives of the nature and purpose of education.
Module 1: Studying education
- Understanding education
- Purpose of education
- History of education
- Politics of education
- Theories of education
Module 2: Being an educator
- Australian education
- Immersion experience
- Wellbeing and relationships
- Recognition and participation
- Thinking critically about education
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of foundational educational concepts, contexts and issues.|
|2||demonstrate ability to reflect on and critique educational theories and practices.|
|3||demonstrate an ability to identify and analyse education practices.|
|4||demonstrate an ability to reflect on personal assumptions and beliefs about the nature and purpose of education.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of foundational educational concepts, contexts and issues.
- demonstrate ability to reflect on and critique educational theories and practices.
- demonstrate an ability to identify and analyse education practices.
- demonstrate an ability to reflect on personal assumptions and beliefs about the nature and purpose of education.
- Readings, (available on learning site)..
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.