Develops the knowledge base underpinning the principles and practices of teaching and learning mathematics, including models of pedagogy for teaching and assessing in Primary Mathematics. Focuses on the learning and teaching of a range of topics in the NSW Syllabus for Mathematics K-10 and in the Australian Curriculum for Mathematics F-10 including Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, Statistics and Probability.
Module 1: NSW Mathematics K-10 Syllabus and Australian Curriculum F-6, Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) Teaching Strategies for Number and Algebra I
Module 2: Teaching Strategies for Number and Algebra II
Module 3: Teaching Strategies for Number and Algebra III
Module 4: Teaching Strategies for Measurement and Geometry
Module 5: Teaching Strategies for Statistics and Probability
Module 6: Mathematically Rich Tasks and More
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||review current academic literature related to K-6 Mathematics curriculum and pedagogy|
|2||demonstrate knowledge of the structure, content and requirements of the Australian Curriculum F-6 Mathematics and NSW Mathematics K-6 Syllabus|
|3||collect and design a range of K-6 Mathematics teaching and assessment strategies, and resources, including addressing Australian Curriculum General Capabilities and Cross Curriculum Priorities|
|4||design lesson plans aligned to the Australian Curriculum F-6 Mathematics and/or the NSW Mathematics K-6 Syllabus|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- review current academic literature related to K-6 Mathematics curriculum and pedagogy
- demonstrate knowledge of the structure, content and requirements of the Australian Curriculum F-6 Mathematics and NSW Mathematics K-6 Syllabus
- collect and design a range of K-6 Mathematics teaching and assessment strategies, and resources, including addressing Australian Curriculum General Capabilities and Cross Curriculum Priorities
- design lesson plans aligned to the Australian Curriculum F-6 Mathematics and/or the NSW Mathematics K-6 Syllabus
- No prescribed texts.
- Students must purchase the Australian edition and can purchase either the print or the digital version. While it is recommended that students purchase the most up-to-date edition, purchasing editions from the 2nd Edition (Australian) and onwards will be acceptable. : Reys, R., Lindquist, M., Lamdin, D., Smith, N., Rogers, A., Bragg, L., Cooke, A., Fanshawe, M., & Gronow, M. , 2022, Helping children learn mathematics, 4th Edition (Australian), John Wiley & Sons, Milton, Australia. ISBN: Print ISBN : 9780730391807 OR Digital ISBN : 9780730391814.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.