Emphasises the role of stories and narratives in meaningful and authentic teaching and learning. Students learn and integrate skills of reading, writing, listening, speaking and viewing through the medium of stories. The unit explores the use of personal and cultural stories for inclusive and differentiated pedagogies. It also provides students with opportunities to develop contemporary speaking skills and use of rhetoric for engaging and effective teaching.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||understand and explain the role of stories in traditional and contemporary teaching and learning|
|2||identify and apply developmentally and culturally inclusive strategies for teaching listening and viewing, reading, writing and speaking through story|
|3||understand and apply knowledge of pedagogies for teaching using children’s literature and other texts to develop children’s reading skills and knowledge.|
|4||identify and apply rhetorical strategies for teaching through story|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- understand and explain the role of stories in traditional and contemporary teaching and learning
- identify and apply developmentally and culturally inclusive strategies for teaching listening and viewing, reading, writing and speaking through story
- understand and apply knowledge of pedagogies for teaching using children’s literature and other texts to develop children’s reading skills and knowledge.
- identify and apply rhetorical strategies for teaching through story
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Phillips, L.G., & Nguyen, T.P.T. (Eds.) , 2021, Storytelling Pedagogy in Australia & Asia, 1st, Palgrave Macmillan., Melbourne, Australia. ISBN: 9811640084.
- No prescribed resources/equipment.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.