Introduces fundamental skills for laboratory experimentation and modelling in engineering, including measurement methods, analysis of data and uncertainty, and basics of logic and programming. Students will perform laboratory experiments and simulations related to simple engineering phenomena and present the results of their experiments in written form.
The scientific method
Measurement methods and sensors
Concepts of accuracy, precision and error
Analysis and representation of data
Programming and logic
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of the scientific method and the concepts of accuracy, precision and error in relation to engineering experimentation|
|2||apply appropriate methods to make experimental measurements of simple engineering phenomena|
|3||analyse and interpret experimental data to draw appropriate conclusions|
|4||communicate details of engineering experiments in a suitable written form.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the scientific method and the concepts of accuracy, precision and error in relation to engineering experimentation
- apply appropriate methods to make experimental measurements of simple engineering phenomena
- analyse and interpret experimental data to draw appropriate conclusions
- communicate details of engineering experiments in a suitable written form.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.