Not currently available in 2021
This unit examines the movement of water through the global hydrological cycle. Topics include consideration of the atmospheric component of the global water cycle, investigating weather and climate, and the movement of water on and under the Earth's surface in hydrology. Techniques for the measurement and analysis of surface and sub-surface water and the effect this water has on stream and catchment development is investigated.
The following topics will be discussed:
- Global hydrological cycle and water
- The atmosphere: radiation and moisture
- Planetary scale circulation
- Regional and local climatic patterns
- Climatic classification
- Catchments and precipitation
- Interception and surface water flow
- Infiltration and evapotranspiration
- Groundwater hydrology
- Floods and flood analysis
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe aspects and dynamics of hydrology and climatology, such as atmospheric moisture, soil moisture, and groundwater, and explain the linkages between the atmosphere and hydrosphere|
|2||collect and analyse hydrological and climatological data|
|3||apply these data to hydrological and climatological problem solving.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe aspects and dynamics of hydrology and climatology, such as atmospheric moisture, soil moisture, and groundwater, and explain the linkages between the atmosphere and hydrosphere
- collect and analyse hydrological and climatological data
- apply these data to hydrological and climatological problem solving.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.