|National Marine Science Centre Coffs Harbour|
Provides a multidisciplinary approach to defining the major types of catchment derived chemical, physical, and biological pollutants that impact aquatic environments. It also examines how catchment processes affect the pathways, fates and effects of these pollutants. Students will examine different approaches to the design of catchment and aquatic monitoring programs, and undertake aquatic pollution sampling and analysis.
1. Introduction to aquatic pollution
2. Measuring, management, and legislation of aquatic pollution
3. Understanding the role of catchments in aquatic pollution
5. Marine pollution
6. Case studies of aquatic pollution and catchment management in Australia
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify the different sources of aquatic pollution and evaluate the way different pollutants impact aquatic ecosystems|
|2||perform quantitative analysis of pollution and compare against guidelines|
|3||synthesise knowledge to understand the complex links between catchment management and aquatic pollution|
|4||research and present sound scientific information for appropriate audiences.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify the different sources of aquatic pollution and evaluate the way different pollutants impact aquatic ecosystems
- perform quantitative analysis of pollution and compare against guidelines
- synthesise knowledge to understand the complex links between catchment management and aquatic pollution
- research and present sound scientific information for appropriate audiences.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.