Introduces students to superannuation and retirement planning including an overview of the Australian superannuation system, the legal and regulatory framework, the superannuation lifecycle, contributions, taxation, and products (funds, SMSFs and insurance). The unit also covers topics such as family law, retirement planning and social security. Students will engage in teacher directed activities and experiences relevant to responsible superannuation and retirement planning and the provision of advisory recommendations to clients.
Topic 1a: The Australian Superannuation System
Topic 1b: The Legal and Regulatory Framework
Topic 2a: The Superannuation Lifecycle
Topic 2b: Superannuation Contributions
Topic 3a: Superannuation and Taxation
Topic 3b: Superannuation Products — Funds, Annuities and Savings Accounts
Topic 4a: Superannuation Products — SMSFs
Topic 4b: Superannuation Products — Insurance
Topic 5a: Superannuation and Family Law
Topic 5b: Retirement Planning
Topic 6a: Retirement Planning II
Topic 6b: Social Security
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of the Australian superannuation system and regulatory and legal framework|
|2||describe key components of the superannuation lifecycle, contributions and taxes|
|3||identify and appraise superannuation and retirement products and apply to client specific situations|
|4||develop strategies and provide advisory recommendations on superannuation and retirement planning (including social security).|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the Australian superannuation system and regulatory and legal framework
- describe key components of the superannuation lifecycle, contributions and taxes
- identify and appraise superannuation and retirement products and apply to client specific situations
- develop strategies and provide advisory recommendations on superannuation and retirement planning (including social security).
- Jones, S, 2019, Australian Superannuation Handbook 2019-20, Thomson Reuters (Lawbook Co). ISBN: 9780864697943.
- McKeown, W, Olynyk, M, Ciancio, L and La, D, 2020, Financial Planning, Essentials Edition, 3rd ed, Wiley. ISBN: 9780730385738.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.