2024 unit offering information will be available in November 2023
Introduces students to the theory and practice of forest science. Provides an overview of major forest types and management objectives. Students learn techniques of forest measurement. Introduces practices of planning and operational infrastructure required for major forest management objectives.
1. Introduction to Forest Science; natural and planted; management objectives.
2. Forest diversity: Biogeography, Structure and Classification
3. Measuring individual trees
4. Measuring forests: stands and biodiversity carbon
5. Planted Forests; farm forestry, commercial plantations
6. Native Forest management: conservation, wood and non-wood forest products value chains
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe the structure, distribution and complexity of forest ecosystems|
|2||apply forest measurement techniques for wood and carbon|
|3||demonstrate an understanding of the main tenure and forest management objectives of major forest ecosystems|
|4||analyse forest value chains and implication for forest management.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe the structure, distribution and complexity of forest ecosystems
- apply forest measurement techniques for wood and carbon
- demonstrate an understanding of the main tenure and forest management objectives of major forest ecosystems
- analyse forest value chains and implication for forest management.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.