Not currently available in 2023
Examines principles of combustion and fire behaviour based on an understanding of meteorological events; the role of fire in ecosystem function; techniques of fire control including hazard reduction and other prescribed burning techniques; review of suppression strategies.
1. Fire Through Time: pre-human, Aboriginal and European fire
2. Plant and Animal Adaptations: surviving fire and exploiting the post fire environment
3. Open-ecosystems: the role of fire in shaping ecosystem structure & distribution
4. Fire Behaviour: the role of weather, topography and fuel dynamics
5. Fire Management: managing fire regimes for hazard reduction and ecological burning, cultural burning
6. Fire in a Changing World: climate change and carbon cycles
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||understand the physical principles driving fire behaviour|
|2||demonstrate an advanced understanding of the ecological role of fire, particularly in forested ecosystems|
|3||analyse opposing fire management systems for their impact on ecological health and community safety.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- understand the physical principles driving fire behaviour
- demonstrate an advanced understanding of the ecological role of fire, particularly in forested ecosystems
- analyse opposing fire management systems for their impact on ecological health and community safety.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.