Introduces students to geographic information systems (GIS) and how GIS can be used to solve a simple spatial problem in environmental science. Students will use location data from a global positioning system (GPS) and other field data. They will integrate these data into a geodatabase via Excel. They will gather relevant existing spatial data and create a Story Map and Infographic that conveys a clear message to the general public.
Spatial and non-spatial data in GIS
Coordinate systems: projections and datums
Quality control (scale, source, errors)
Creating a professional map
Using Excel with a GIS
Story Maps and Infographics
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||incorporate spatial and non-spatial data into a GIS|
|2||explain coordinate systems and quality control of spatial and non-spatial data|
|3||use a GIS to solve a simple spatial problem and produce a professional map|
|4||communicate spatial data concepts to a wide audience using Story Maps and Infographics.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- incorporate spatial and non-spatial data into a GIS
- explain coordinate systems and quality control of spatial and non-spatial data
- use a GIS to solve a simple spatial problem and produce a professional map
- communicate spatial data concepts to a wide audience using Story Maps and Infographics.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.