2024 unit offering information will be available in November 2023
Introduces students to the use of aerial drones in marine, environmental, forest and agricultural systems, as well as visual arts and other applications. Students will obtain hands on experience piloting drones, planning operations and analysing associated spatial data, and also learn about the role that rapidly advancing drone technology will play in shaping our future.
- Use of aerial drones in marine, environmental, forest and agricultural systems, as well as other applications.
- Basic principles of safe drone flight for commercial applications and governing legislation.
- Planning and executing drone operations to comply with relevant Southern Cross University policy and procedures.
- Capturing quality drone footage, and using it to create video show reels and other applications.
- Cutting edge drone sensors (e.g. thermal, multispectral and Lidar imagery), 3D habitat mapping and spatial analysis.
- The application of drones in wildlife biology and conservation.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||explain and apply the principles of safe drone flight and regulations governing drone operations in Australia|
|2||proficiently plan and execute successful drone operations that comply with Southern Cross University policy and procedures|
|3||competently pilot a drone|
|4||evaluate application of cutting-edge drone sensors|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain and apply the principles of safe drone flight and regulations governing drone operations in Australia
- proficiently plan and execute successful drone operations that comply with Southern Cross University policy and procedures
- competently pilot a drone
- evaluate application of cutting-edge drone sensors
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.