Explores the global and national impact of diabetes. The differences between prediabetes, type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes and other types of diabetes are examined. Students are introduced to the management of acute diabetes complications. The aetiology, pathophysiology, prevention, and risk factor screening of long term diabetes complications are explored.
- The global diabetes epidemic
- Energy metabolism and glucose homeostasis
- Pathophysiology and aetiology of diabetes
- Diagnostic criteria and classification of diabetes
- Acute complications of diabetes
- Chronic complications of diabetes
The unit learning outcomes address elements from Domain 1 (Clinical Practice) of the National Competency Standards for Credentialled Diabetes Educators.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||discuss diabetes in the context of the global chronic disease epidemic|
|2||explain energy metabolism and the hormonal regulation of blood glucose|
|3||compare and contrast the different classifications of diabetes|
|4||summarise acute and chronic diabetes complications|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- discuss diabetes in the context of the global chronic disease epidemic
- explain energy metabolism and the hormonal regulation of blood glucose
- compare and contrast the different classifications of diabetes
- summarise acute and chronic diabetes complications
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.