Examines the connection between people and place, community and identity in terms of how a sense of place is imagined and interpreted over time. Different ways of reading landscapes in visual and literary historical documents linking time and place will be introduced. Students will be encouraged to reflect on their practice as historians and their craft as writers to develop their own writing skills in the process of making history.
- A sense of place: land and identity
- Colonial landscapes
- Australian legends: the place of the 1890s
- Re-writing the frontier
- Preserving landscape: history and heritage
- Sacred places: land and memory
- Cultural and material practices in the land
- Contested places
- Historical writing as a craft
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify and interpret different visual and literary and historical texts|
|2||critically review contemporary historians' theories and approaches to place of contemporary historians|
|3||discuss the relationship between place and the historical, social, political and economic contexts in which it is imagined and interpreted|
|4||construct an evidence-based argument using skills in historical writing and research.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify and interpret different visual and literary and historical texts
- critically review contemporary historians' theories and approaches to place of contemporary historians
- discuss the relationship between place and the historical, social, political and economic contexts in which it is imagined and interpreted
- construct an evidence-based argument using skills in historical writing and research.
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.