|Coffs Harbour||Session 2||Session 2|
|Gold Coast||Session 2||Session 2|
Explores the concepts of what are “home” and “community” from different cultural perspectives, and the effects of physical, cognitive and psychosocial dysfunction and environmental constraints on occupational performance within the home and community. Occupational therapy assessment of the accessibility of home and public environments, and the development of culturally appropriate interventions, including the use of appropriate assistive devices/technology, will be examined.
- Community and home environments – what are they, how are they defined, impact on occupational performance
- Introduction to legislative and regulatory aspects affecting home and community
- Concepts of Universal Design and access standards
- Assessing for and prescribing basic home modifications
- Driving and other forms of transport: assessment and related aspects
- Instrumental Activities of Daily Living – definitions, inclusions and assessment
- Clinical reasoning and report writing skills
- Assistive technology and devices appropriate for home and community contexts
- Carer and home occupations
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||define home and community environments in terms of personal preferences, occupational roles, activities and routines, and physical and socio-cultural dimensions||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|2||assess people's occupational performance with regard to their daily lives and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living in home and community contexts||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|3||assess the home and community environment and identify the impact on people's occupational performance and instrumental activities of daily living||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|4||discuss factors in the home and community environment that can impact on occupational performance, engagement and social inclusion||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|5||identify and prioritise issues to address for clients entering, returning to or remaining in their homes or other living arrangements||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline|
|6||recommend appropriate strategies to maintain, restore or enhance occupational performance in home and community contexts using relevant theoretical frameworks||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline|
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2020 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.