Strengthens students' knowledge of accountability issues for health professional practice and expands discipline-specific and inter-professional clinical reasoning. The unit addresses issues such as ethics and law in health practice and business, advocacy, human rights and health, capacity building, ethical reasoning and research ethics. Advanced clinical reasoning skills and contexts are also explored.
- Autonomous practice: Nature, responsibilities implications and limitations.
- Human rights principles and health.
- Role and requirements of being an expert in regards to the legal system.
- Role and requirements of being an expert in regards to policy development.
- Ethics and ethical reasoning in health practice, research and business.
- Accountability in service delivery settings and accountability systems external to the profession.
- Clinical decision making.
- Meta-awareness skills in clinical reasoning.
- Advanced clinical reasoning for different client populations.
- Advanced inter-professional skills.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||apply principles and explain implications of autonomous practice||Ethical practice|
|2||critique the application of human rights principles to health professional practice||Intellectual rigour||Cultural competence|
|3||evaluate the expectations and responsibilities of being an expert, in regards to both policy development and the legal system||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills||Cultural competence|
|4||interpret accountability in service delivery settings and accountability systems external to the profession||Ethical practice||Communication and social skills|
|5||critically discuss clinical decision making and illustrate how meta-awareness skills can assist clinical reasoning in novel and complex situations||Ethical practice|
|6||demonstrate advanced clinical reasoning skills in relation to inter-professional practice by managing complex case studies||Creativity||Communication and social skills|
|7||explain how clinical reasoning and accountability interrelate in person centred care.||Ethical practice||Cultural competence|
- Freegard H and Isted L (ed.), 2012, Ethical Practice for Health Professionals, 2nd edn, Cengage Learning Australia Pty Ltd, South Melbourne, Australia. ISBN: 9780170220439.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2017 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.