2020 unit offering information will be available in September 2019
Strengthens students' knowledge of accountability issues for health professional practice and expands discipline-specific and inter-professional clinical reasoning.
- Autonomous practice: Nature, responsibilities implications and limitations.
- Human rights principles and health.
- Role and requirements of being an expert in regards to the legal system.
- Role and requirements of being an expert in regards to policy development.
- Ethics and ethical reasoning in health practice, research and business.
- Accountability principles and procedures.
- Clinical decision making and advanced clinical reasoning.
- Meta-awareness skills.
- Advanced inter-professional skills.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||apply principles and explain implications of autonomous practice||Ethical practice|
|2||critique the application of human rights principles to health professional practice||Intellectual rigour|
|3||evaluate the expectations and responsibilities of being an expert, in regards to both policy development and the legal system||Ethical practice|
|4||adapt accountability principles and procedures to complex clinical scenarios||Ethical practice|
|5||critically discuss clinical decision making and clinical reasoning in novel and complex situations||Ethical practice|
|6||evaluate clinical reasoning and meta-awareness skills in complex profession specific and interprofessional case studies||Creativity|
|7||evaluate how clinical reasoning and ethical reasoning inform person-centred care||Ethical practice|
- Freegard, H & Isted, L (eds), 2012, Ethical Practice for Health Professionals, 2nd edn, Cengage Learning Australia Pty Ltd, South Melbourne, Australia. ISBN: 9780170220439.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2020 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.