Provides a balance of Indigenous research theory and practice. The unit will help you to establish structures and procedures to provide a firm relational, ethical and functional foundation to your research utilising Indigenist methodologies. You will develop a critical appreciation of research contexts including the impact of legal, ethical and professional practice issues. You will demonstrate the importance of Indigenous Knowledge and utilise your understanding of Indigenist theory to construct a research proposal including; clearly defining a research topic, outlining a research methodology, and justifying a strategy of inquiry.
Module 1: Indigenous research histories
Module 2: Relational context of research
Module 3: Principles and theory of Indigenist research
Module 4: Strategies and methods of Indigenist research practice
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||critically discuss the relational context of your research topic|
|2||analyse various research methodologies appropriate to your study|
|3||justify a strategy of inquiry as it would be applied in the field.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- critically discuss the relational context of your research topic
- analyse various research methodologies appropriate to your study
- justify a strategy of inquiry as it would be applied in the field.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Wilson, S, 2008, Research is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods , 1st edn, Fernwood publishing, Nova Scotia.
- Yunkaporta Tyson, 2019, Sand talk: How Indigenous Thinking Can Save the World. , Text Publishing, Melbourne VIC.. ISBN: 9781925773996.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.