Not currently available in 2019
Examines the design and integration of graphics, text and interface elements in interactive applications. This unit introduces students to screen design, interface design and user experience as the essential elements of digital graphics and text in a practical, problem-based format.
- Introduction to digital media.
- Hardware and software for capturing, scanning, creating and manipulating text and 2-D graphics.
- Graphical communication and information design.
- Text – Components, creation, use.
- 2-D graphics – Vector, bitmap.
- 2-D graphics – Components, creation, use.
- The principles and design of Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) for multimedia applications.
- Screen design – Achieving balance between aesthetics and functionality.
- Storage formats for text and 2-D graphics.
- Compression formats and transmission techniques for text and 2-D graphics.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||identify and describe the main features of text and 2-D graphics||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|2||analyse aspects of content, purpose and end users that impact upon design and use of images, text and interface elements||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|3||apply principles and elements of visual design to the development of computer graphical user interfaces||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||design and develop screen layouts for computer graphical user interfaces and content presentation||Intellectual rigour||Creativity||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|5||demonstrate the appropriate use of text and 2-D graphics for both user interface and content presentation||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|6||describe and utilise the important storage formats for text and 2-D graphics||Knowledge of a discipline|
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2019 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.