Develops awareness of the techniques, tools and methods of information systems analysis and design in a business environment. Develops analytical skills in the systems development lifecycle including: system requirements analysis, problem identification, feasibility assessment and case analysis. Provides insight into the specifications and management of socio-technical issues.
Topic 1: Information systems: concepts, development approaches and project management
Topic 2: Systems planning, feasibility analysis and risk management
Topic 3: Determining requirements
Topic 4: Analysing requirements: use cases and entities
Topic 5: Modelling requirements and alternatives for implementation
Topic 6: System design, implementation and support
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe the activities involved in the System Development Life Cycle for a computer-based information system|
|2||simulate the role of the systems analyst with respect to the analysis, design and implementation of information systems|
|3||analyse the feasibility and risks associated with information systems design and development|
|4||apply various techniques to the analysis of current systems and modelling of future systems, as well as use a range of analysis and design tools and techniques|
|5||produce project management charts|
|6||describe quality assurance procedures in software development.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe the activities involved in the System Development Life Cycle for a computer-based information system
- simulate the role of the systems analyst with respect to the analysis, design and implementation of information systems
- analyse the feasibility and risks associated with information systems design and development
- apply various techniques to the analysis of current systems and modelling of future systems, as well as use a range of analysis and design tools and techniques
- produce project management charts
- describe quality assurance procedures in software development.
- Needed from Week 1: Satzinger, J, Jackson, R & Burd, S, 2016, Systems Analysis and Design in a Changing World, 7th edn, Cengage Learning, Boston MA. ISBN: 978-1-305-11720-4.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.