Discusses the principles, methods, tools and techniques of information systems analysis and design in a business environment. Students will study the systems development lifecycle and develop analytical skills in system requirements analysis, problem identification, feasibility assessment and case analysis. The unit also provides insight into the specifications and management of socio-technical issues.
Topic 1: Information systems: concepts, development approaches and project management
Topic 2: Systems planning, feasibility analysis and risk management
Topic 3: Determining requirements
Topic 4: Analysing requirements: use cases and entities
Topic 5: Modelling requirements and alternatives for implementation
Topic 6: System design, implementation and support
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||plan for the activities to design and develop a computer-based business information system following the System Development Life Cycle.|
|2||analyse the requirements, quality, feasibility and risks associated with information systems design and development.|
|3||apply the system analysis and design principles, methods and tools to analyse current systems and model future business information systems.|
|4||employ teamwork and communication skills to work productively in a system analysis and design team.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- plan for the activities to design and develop a computer-based business information system following the System Development Life Cycle.
- analyse the requirements, quality, feasibility and risks associated with information systems design and development.
- apply the system analysis and design principles, methods and tools to analyse current systems and model future business information systems.
- employ teamwork and communication skills to work productively in a system analysis and design team.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Needed from Week 1: Satzinger, J, Jackson, R & Burd, S, 2016, Systems Analysis and Design in a Changing World, 7th edn, Cengage Learning, Boston MA. ISBN: 978-1-305-11720-4.
Project Libre - an open source project management package. Alternatively, MS Project may be used.
Lucidchart - online at lucidchart.com or alternative such as Dia (open source free download), draw.io, Omnigraffle (for iOS and Mac OS X users), ArgoUML, Microsoft Visio, Gliffy, Creately. Note that MS Word is not suitable to draw diagrams for this unit.
MS Word or equivalent word processor - for building reports.
Teaching and assessment
|Structured online learning 1 Hour (Weekly)|
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.